Monday 6 December 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Is everything changing too fast?

Ask HN: Is everything changing too fast?
43 by dmje | 25 comments on Hacker News.
I'm getting on (I'm nearly 50) - not a software dev (thank god) but more a project manager. I do a lot of the "knitting together" type work between developers, UX people, designers, content owners, etc. Until recently, we used to do things like write cheatsheets and other help docs for our clients for tools like Google Analytics. This was all fine, and they were appreciated, as clients just don't know how to use these tools. But recently, the rate of change has just made this untenable. I'd log into a tool like GA and the whole thing would be different. Not just the upgrade to 4, but then incremental changes there, too. So cheatsheets, training workshops, anything around support - just becomes untenable. Another example: I log into Teamwork (my project management tool of choice) - and they're "retiring" the plan I've been on (and very happy with) for years. Instead I have to choose "Growth" and now my dashboard is littered with a whole bunch of stuff I neither want or need. Nothing is where I'm used to it being. And: we do a bunch of work with Wordpress. The rate of change here is insane, too - every single update brings new features, none of which is documented, bedded in or understood. None of which can be written about, supported or workshopped. And: Trello. It was fine. And then Atlassian bought it and it became this horrific behemoth of "features", all of which just clutter everything up, none of which seems to actually do anything useful. And on, and on. Is this rate of change supportable? Am I just too old? Help me put this in context, HN!

No comments:

Post a Comment