Tuesday 10 January 2023

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Other Devs, How Do You Deal with Socials, Blogging, etc.

Ask HN: Other Devs, How Do You Deal with Socials, Blogging, etc.
13 by throwtheheyaway | 12 comments on Hacker News.
Throwaway.. because I don't want to tie my actual account to this one. People - how do you deal with the ongoing requirements it appears that jobs place, such as social network involvement. To me - this means LinkedIn posting rubbish, Twitter bollocks, public GitHub repos for sharing - even the asks from employers to post here. I, as a person have zero accounts anywhere, except for one here. I've been gainfully employed in industry for ~2 decades, and frankly I have neither need nor desire to have a "social profile". I speak at conferences when I want to, sans twitter, linkedin, etc. Moreso - I find the amount of developer advocate written blogspam (let's just call it marketing crap) only contributes to the web problems - and hence have started to block... everything, including my employer's search results (personally, with a plugin in DuckDuckGo and Google. I'm not interested in writing blog things. I'm interested in continuing my ongoing work as a principal engineer, without marketing externally on the fakery of "how great we/I am/are", or "humbelbragging", or frankly any of the rubbish I keep encountering. I just want to focus on the things we're collectively doing to be successful. So... how do you handle this?

No comments:

Post a Comment