Wednesday 5 January 2022

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Resources for “Learning” Manufacturing?

Ask HN: Resources for “Learning” Manufacturing?
17 by supermatt | 6 comments on Hacker News.
I have been learning cad with fusion360, and have already designed, fabricated and built a number of small items for my own (personal) use around the farm. To date, this has meant prototyping with the 3d printer, outsourcing laser cutting of steel (up to 10mm thickness) and welding parts by hand. Its been mainly small tractor attachments/brackets/etc. I am becoming a bit more adventurous with my designs, and have started designing some ideas that would need to be injection moulded to be of any real practical use. There are also some aspects of the design that I believe would need to be rotomoulded to reduce material usage and weight to acceptable levels. How can I move to this "next level" of prototyping and small scale manufacture? Is this something I can achieve myself with (limited) investment in specific machinery (budget ~15k USD)? Im only looking at small runs - but a number of parts, which I would assume would make more commercial offerings expensive?

No comments:

Post a Comment